Are you ready for an abundance of 1:1 questions? 1:1s are an effective way to communicate and ask questions with your direct report in a safe and honest environment. They’re designed to increase productivity, engagement and overall happiness. 1:1s can strengthen the relationship between managers and their team and lead to reduced turnover. So if you’ve read our introduction to 1:1s and you’re excited to get started, this one’s for you. The starting point for any successful 1:1 comes down to the preparation of questions. You should be prepared for the 1:1 with a few questions and enter each meeting with an open, transparent mindset. We suggest choosing 5-10 questions and sending them to your direct report to fill out beforehand. 💡 HINT: Bookmark this blog and revisit it when you want to change up your questions. Whether you’re new to the idea of 1:1s or simply needing some inspiration to jazz up your existing questions, read on as we share a whopping 105 questions you can ask in a 1:1 with your direct report.
Employee engagement 🦄
- What are you proud of in the last week?
- How do you feel like your week has gone?
- Have you overcome your challenges from last week?
- What are your priorities for next week?
- Did you achieve your priorities from last week?
- What has been the highlight of your week at work?
- What are you excited about at the moment?
- Is there anything in particular that you’d like to talk through this week?
- Is there anything you achieved last week that I don’t know about?
- How do you feel about your meeting to work ratio this week?
- Did you do anything differently this week that has worked well for you?
- Do you feel as though you were productive this week?
- Have you seen any tools that can help you be more productive or effective in your role?
- Do you feel as though you were recognised for good work this week?
- Are you excited to work on your upcoming projects?
- Do you feel like you are using your strengths in your role?
- Do you have any ideas or suggestions to help you feel more engaged in your role?
- Is there anything that you’re working on that you don’t like doing?
- How do you feel about the team?
- Do you feel as though what you’re working on right now is fulfilling?
- Do you know what is required of you right now?
- How are you prioritising your tasks for the week ahead?
- What’s one thing you’d like to achieve by the end of this meeting?
Roadblocks and challenges ❌
- What are your roadblocks right now?
- What were your challenges over the last week?
- How can I help you overcome your challenges or roadblocks?
- What’s your greatest concern about the company right now?
- You said you had trouble with [XYZ], what would you do differently next time?
- What’s your greatest concern about your role right now?
- Is there anything slowing you down right now?
- Is any of your working confusing you right now?
- Do you think there is someone else in the team who can assist you with your roadblocks?
- What do you think you will learn by getting through this challenge?
- On a scale of 1-10, how likely do you think you are to overcome this challenge?
- From your experience, what would you implement to make sure this isn’t a challenge next time?
- Do you feel like you have enough resources to support you?
- Where do you think the team could use more resources?
- Are you procrastinating on anything right now?
- What is the main cause of this roadblock?
- Have you considered other options to overcome this roadblock?
- Do you expect to have any roadblocks over the next week?
Employee Happiness 🙂
- Rate your happiness on a scale of 1 to 10.
- What needs to happen to make your happiness a 10?
- This week, X changes have occurred. How are you feeling about these?
- How are you feeling about your work/life balance right now?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how stressed are you right now?
- Did you enjoy coming to work this week? Why/why not?
- Do you feel like you worked effectively this week?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the workplace culture the past week?
- Do you have the right resources and tools to succeed in your role?
- Would you recommend working at our company to your friends and family?
- Is there anything that is making you feel annoyed or upset in your role?
Check out our 1:1s feature in action 👇
General communication and life updates 💬
- How was your weekend?
- How are you feeling this week?
- What has been the highlight of your week outside of work?
- How is your life outside of work?
- Rate your work/life balance on a scale of 1 to 10.
- Are there any hobbies you enjoy outside of work that you could bring to the workplace?
- What have you been reading, watching or listening to recently?
- Are you on track to achieve your personal goals for the year?
Learning and development ✏️
- What is one thing you have learned at work this week?
- Are there any skills you would like to improve?
- Have you seen any courses you would like to do?
- What’s one new skill you’d like to improve over the next month?
- What did you use your learning hour of power for this week to do? Tell me about it.
- What is one area you would like to master in the next year?
- Is there anything you’d like to work on that you’re not currently doing?
- Is there any new technology you think would make you more productive?
- Can you talk through the results of [XYZ]
- What way do you learn best?
- How has your learning contributed to the success you’ve had this week?
Personal and professional development 💥
- What have you done this week to progress your professional goals?
- Where do you see yourself in six months?
- What have you done this week to progress your personal goals?
- What is your dream role?
- If you had to specialise in one area, what would it be?
- What’s one area you think you need to improve
- Is there one area you’d like more feedback on?
- Last week we talked about [XYZ], have you made any progress on that?
- How are you progressing with your long term goals? Have you made any progress this week?
- How can I help you achieve your goals better?
- What are you committing to next week to progress your goals?
- How confident are you in the progress of your goals?
- How are you progressing with your OKRs?
- Where do you see yourself in one year
- On a scale of 1-10, how committed are you to achieving your goals?
- What date do you want to achieve XYZ by?
- What’s the first step of achieving your career goals?
- Do you have any fears when it comes to overcoming this challenge?
- Where do you see yourself in five years
- Where do you see yourself in ten years
- What can I do to help you achieve your career goals?
- Do you need help defining your career goals?
For managers 📋
- What can I do as your manager to support you achieve your goals?
- Is there anything you would like to learn more about that I can teach you?
- How can I help you remove the roadblocks you’re currently facing?
- What is something I’m doing as a manager that is helping you right now?
- Is there anything specific you’d like to learn from me? Would you like me to be more or less involved with your work?
- Do you have any feedback for me?
- Do you feel like I recognise you for the good work that you do?
- Is there anything I can do to make me a better manager?
- Have I done something recently that you haven’t agreed with?
- Do you like my management style? If not, what do you prefer?
- Do you think I’m responsive enough to your questions and requests?
- Is there anything else on your mind that you’d like to discuss
Why not get started with a 1:1 meeting template?
Want to learn how to get started with 1:1s in Employment Hero? ✅
Did you know that Employment Hero can help manage your 1:1s and questions in our platform? 1:1s in Employment Hero will guide managers and employees through structured and regular meetings with the goal of providing an environment for bidirectional coaching and feedback. If you’d like to learn more about our 1:1 feature, get in touch with one of our small business specialists today.