1:1s can strengthen the relationship between managers and their team and lead to reduced turnover. So if you’ve read our introduction to 1:1s and you’re excited to get started, this one’s for you.
The starting point for any successful 1:1 comes down to the preparation of questions. You should be prepared for the 1:1 with a few questions and enter each meeting with an open, transparent mindset. We suggest choosing 5-10 questions and sending them to your direct report to fill out beforehand.
Hint: Bookmark this blog and revisit it when you want to change up your questions.
Whether you’re new to the idea of 1:1s or simply needing some inspiration to jazz up your existing questions, read on as we share a whopping 105 questions you can ask in a 1:1 with your direct report.
- What are you proud of in the last week?
- How do you feel like your week has gone?
- Have you overcome your challenges from last week?
- What are your priorities for next week?
- Did you achieve your priorities from last week?
- What has been the highlight of your week at work?
- What are you excited about at the moment?
- Is there anything in particular that you’d like to talk through this week?
- Is there anything you achieved last week that I don’t know about?
- How do you feel about your meeting to work ratio this week?
- Did you do anything differently this week that has worked well for you?
- Do you feel as though you were productive this week?
- Have you seen any tools that can help you be more productive or effective in your role?
- Do you feel as though you were recognised for good work this week?
- Are you excited to work on your upcoming projects?
- Do you feel like you are using your strengths in your role?
- Do you have any ideas or suggestions to help you feel more engaged in your role?
- Is there anything that you’re working on that you don’t like doing?
- How do you feel about the team?
- Do you feel as though what you’re working on right now is fulfilling?
- Do you know what is required of you right now?
- How are you prioritising your tasks for the week ahead?
- What’s one thing you’d like to achieve by the end of this meeting?
Roadblocks and challenges
- What are your roadblocks right now?
- What were your challenges over the last week?
- How can I help you overcome your challenges or roadblocks?
- What’s your greatest concern about the company right now?
- You said you had trouble with [XYZ], what would you do differently next time?
- What’s your greatest concern about your role right now?
- Is there anything slowing you down right now?
- Is any of your working confusing you right now?
- Do you think there is someone else in the team who can assist you with your roadblocks?
- What do you think you will learn by getting through this challenge?
- On a scale of 1-10, how likely do you think you are to overcome this challenge?
- From your experience, what would you implement to make sure this isn’t a challenge next time?
- Do you feel like you have enough resources to support you?
- Where do you think the team could use more resources?
- Are you procrastinating on anything right now?
- What is the main cause of this roadblock?
- Have you considered other options to overcome this roadblock?
- Do you expect to have any roadblocks over the next week?
- Rate your happiness on a scale of 1 to 10.
- What needs to happen to make your happiness a 10?
- This week, X changes have occurred. How are you feeling about these?
- How are you feeling about your work/life balance right now?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how stressed are you right now?
- Did you enjoy coming to work this week? Why/why not?
- Do you feel like you worked effectively this week?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the workplace culture the past week?
- Do you have the right resources and tools to succeed in your role?
- Would you recommend working at our company to your friends and family?
- Is there anything that is making you feel annoyed or upset in your role?
Check out our 1:1s feature in action 👇
General communication and life updates
- How was your weekend?
- How are you feeling this week?
- What has been the highlight of your week outside of work?
- How is your life outside of work?
- Rate your work/life balance on a scale of 1 to 10.
- Are there any hobbies you enjoy outside of work that you could bring to the workplace?
- What have you been reading, watching or listening to recently?
- Are you on track to achieve your personal goals for the year?
Learning and development
- What is one thing you have learned at work this week?
- Are there any skills you would like to improve?
- Have you seen any courses you would like to do?
- What’s one new skill you’d like to improve over the next month?
- What did you use your learning hour of power for this week to do? Tell me about it.
- What is one area you would like to master in the next year?
- Is there anything you’d like to work on that you’re not currently doing?
- Is there any new technology you think would make you more productive?
- Can you talk through the results of [XYZ]
- What way do you learn best?
- How has your learning contributed to the success you’ve had this week?
Personal and professional development
- What have you done this week to progress your professional goals?
- Where do you see yourself in six months?
- What have you done this week to progress your personal goals?
- What is your dream role?
- If you had to specialise in one area, what would it be?
- What’s one area you think you need to improve
- Is there one area you’d like more feedback on?
- Last week we talked about [XYZ], have you made any progress on that?
- How are you progressing with your long term goals? Have you made any progress this week?
- How can I help you achieve your goals better?
- What are you committing to next week to progress your goals?
- How confident are you in the progress of your goals?
- How are you progressing with your OKRs?
- Where do you see yourself in one year
- On a scale of 1-10, how committed are you to achieving your goals?
- What date do you want to achieve XYZ by?
- What’s the first step of achieving your career goals?
- Do you have any fears when it comes to overcoming this challenge?
- Where do you see yourself in five years
- Where do you see yourself in ten years
- What can I do to help you achieve your career goals?
- Do you need help defining your career goals?
- What can I do as your manager to support you achieve your goals?
- Is there anything you would like to learn more about that I can teach you?
- How can I help you remove the roadblocks you’re currently facing?
- What is something I’m doing as a manager that is helping you right now?
- Is there anything specific you’d like to learn from me? Would you like me to be more or less involved with your work?
- Do you have any feedback for me?
- Do you feel like I recognise you for the good work that you do?
- Is there anything I can do to make me a better manager?
- Have I done something recently that you haven’t agreed with?
- Do you like my management style? If not, what do you prefer?
- Do you think I’m responsive enough to your questions and requests?
- Is there anything else on your mind that you’d like to discuss